Friday, November 30, 2007

Breakthrough

Her timing is impeccable. Every night at 10:30 or 11, V. wakes up crying. And every Friday night for the last month (our first month with her), she's woken up off and on again all night, and no one in the house has gotten much sleep.
Tonight was different. Tonight she couldn't fall asleep to begin with. After listening to her wail for awhile in her crib, I went in, picked her up and laid down in our bed, with V. on my chest.
I finally knew what I needed to say to her,and I knew what I needed to hear myself saying. I whispered,
"V., you got to stop fighting it. You're home now. You're safe. You've got a sister now, and a mommy and a papa. We're your family now and we're gonna be your family for a long time. You're home. You're safe, sweetheart."

No comments: