(Normally I don't do this sort of thing. Possibly because I like making lists too much. Like serial killer too much. But an old friend on Facebook started it and I needed to do this one. It's interestingly non-chronological. Facebook? Why would I need another time-sucking vortex in my life--I've got kids!)
1) Lynyrd Skynyrd opening for the Doobie Brothers, Austin Municipal Auditorium, Austin, Texas 1973 (my first)
2) Kreisky opening for TV on the Radio, Arena, Vienna, 2009 (my last)
3) The Replacements, The Continental Club, Austin, 1984?
4) The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Steamboat Springs, Austin, 1984
5) Standing Waves, in the parking lot of Inner Sanctum Records, Austin, 1980
6) The Punk Prom (Dicks, Big Boys, Sharon Tate's Baby), Armadillo World Headquarters, Austin, 1980
7) The B-52's, Armadillo World Headquarters, 1979
8) Journey, Austin Municipal Auditorium, 1978?
9) Peter Frampton, and Gary Wright, the "Dream Weaver," at a rock festival right next to Interstate 35, Austin
10) Rank and File, Dukes Royal Coach Inn, Austin, 1981?
11) Gang of Four, Club Foot, Austin, November 4, 1980 (the night Ronald Reagan was elected)
12) Fela, Austin City Coliseum, 1986
13) Devo, Armadillo World Headquarters, 1979
14) Butthole Surfers, Club Foot, Austin, 1982
15) Butthole Surfers, The Ritz, New York City, 1988
16) Terminal Mind, Rauls, Austin, 1980
17) Meat Joy, Voltaire's Basement, Austin, 1984?
18) Doctor's Mob, at a volunteer fire department garage, South Austin, 1984?
19) True Believers, UT Student Union, Austin, 1986
20) Flaming Lips, the Beach, Austin, 1985?
21) Pussy Galore, Siberia, New York City, 1988?
22) My Bloody Valentine, Maxwells, Hoboken, New Jersey, 1989
23) My Bloody Valentine, the Ritz, New York City, 1992
24) Laibach, the Palladium, New York City, 1989
25) Orbital, Lollapalooza, Randalls Island, NY, 1996?
26) Jane's Addiction, Madison Square Garden, NYC, 1990
27) Kiss (in 3-D, with 3-D glasses and 3-D rear-screen projections), Paramus?, New Jersey, 1998
28) Sun Ra, at dawn on the summer Solstice, Battery Square Park, New York City, 1989
29) The Residents, Warsaw, Brooklyn 2004?
30) Sonic Youth, Continental Club, Austin, 1985
31) Sonic Youth, the Ritz, NYC, 1988
32) Sonic Youth, Arena, Vienna, Austria
33) George Clinton, with members of ParliamentFunkadelic, playing "Tear the Roof off the Sucka" several times for a scene in a justifiably forgotten frat boy movie, 1992?
34) Teenage FanClub, unknown auditorium, Glasgow, 1991
35) Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Madison, Wisconsin, 1993
36) Fatboy Slim, Bowery Ballroom, New York City, 1999
37) Lenny D, a sports bar dive that reaked of PCP, some somewhere in Queens, 2000
38) Kraftwerk, Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC,2004?
39) Chemical Brothers, Hammerstein, NYC, 1998
40) Nirvana, Roseland, NYC, 1993
41) Fanfare Ciocarlia, sZene Wien, 2006?
42) Kaizers Orchestra, Arena, Vienna, 2007
43) Mudhoney, Pyramid, New York City, 1990
44) DopplerEffekt, the new club on Bleecker Street, New York City, 2009
45) Paul Oakenfold, Bowery Ballroom, NYC, 1998
46) Wire, Fluc, Vienna 2009
47) Rush, Armadillo World Headquarters, Austin, Texas, in either 1976 or 2112
48) Radiohead, unknown mega-auditorium, Brighton, England, 1998?
49) T Model Ford, under a tree, in a parking lot, somewhere in Mississippi, 2003
50) unknown homeless man, blowing twenty seconds of horrible saxophone noise, downtown No. 1 subway train, Harlem, USA, 1996.